Wednesday, November 26, 2014

End of the Line

"Is that it?" I whispered.  "Is that where the cult leader dude is hiding out?"

"Yes," Gavsot affirmed.  "According to Sebrev."

"Do we know anything else?" I asked, suddenly nervous about the impending confrontation.  "I mean, how many of his guys does he have with him?"

"I do not know," he admitted.

"Don't worry, sir," Onslaw reassured me.  "No matter who's up there, we can take 'em."

As we moved closer, we could see that the light was coming through a small circular window ahead of us.

"Is that a door?" Yelvin asked.

Dorvial nodded.  "I think so."

"Who puts a door at the end of an empty tunnel?" I wondered.

"I guess we'll find out when we go through it," Dorvial said grimly.  "Who wants to go first?"

Gavsot and I exchanged a glance.  "On the count of three?" I suggested.  He nodded silently.  I counted off and we surged forward in unison, slammed the door off its hinges, and burst into a small, dimly lit room with only two other inhabitants.

As Dorvial, Yelvin and Onslaw spilled in behind us, the two cloaked demons coolly looked us over.  "This is unexpected," one of them said dryly.  "What can I do for you gentlemen?"  I thought he sounded like the cult leader, but I wasn't positive. 

I was about to demand that the speaker remove his mask when a shower of warm blood splashed across me.  I turned toward the source in time to see General Gavsot's body disappear, leaving Yelvin in gory chunks.  The general reappeared a fraction of a second later, blowing an astonished Dorvial to smithereens.  Onslaw reacted swiftly, teleported away just in time to avoid a similar fate.

I stared at Gavsot in confusion and horror.  "What the hell was that?" I raged. 

"Very unexpected," one of the masked demons responded in amusement.  That was when Gavsot materialized in front of me and plunged a dagger into my stomach.

2 comments:

  1. Huh. I actually didn't see that coming. Great work as usual. I'm looking forward to the next page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad to hear I can keep you on your toes.

      I know I've been slacking off a little bit lately, but this latest development is a little more exciting to write, so hopefully I'll be able to stick to my schedule better.

      Delete