Monday, January 26, 2015

A New Guest

"That definitely is confusing," I agreed.  "Let me start by saying that Zyzyfus is a bad guy.  And the creepy cloak guys are too.  Gavsot apparently is with them now, but I'm hesitant to place him firmly in the bad guy category just yet."

"The general?" Sylnie said in shock.  "Really?"

I shrugged.  "Well, he stabbed me," I explained dryly.  "And made some kind of deal with my enemy.  So there's that."

"How could you?" she shrilly reprimanded Gavsot's half-conscious head as it lay unceremoniously with its nose bent against the carpet.

Suddenly there was a new presence in the room.  "Gavsot!" cried a masked and shrouded figure who looked about the correct height to be the Leader of the cult.  He must have planned to say more, but he fell silent when he realized that he and his conspirator were not alone.

"He's a little under the weather right now," I said.  "But I'd be happy to take a message."

"What have you done with him?" the demon asked thinly.  Now that he'd spoken a complete sentence, I could recognize the voice of the Leader. 

"What have you done with him?" I countered.  "Making him turn against me?  Was it some kind of spell?"

"He's merely under the spell of self-interest, Abomination," he scoffed.  "As if it would take some kind of supernatural force to convince one of your precious favorites to break your holy bond of trust.  Can your arrogance really have no limit?  Does your hubris know no bounds?  Does the breadth of your—"

"Does your mouth never shut the fuck up?" I interrupted.  "Quit grandstanding and just level with me.  What do you want?  You want to rule Hell?  You want to rule the Realm of the Living?  What is it?"  I stepped toward him and was overjoyed to sense him instinctively flinch.  For all his pompous pontification and self-righteous self-aggrandizement, he was still scared of me.

2 comments:

  1. The good news is that in all of this, Jason did not forget the important thing: bullying those weaker than him. His predecessors must be beaming with pride from whatever hole they've been buried in.
    RD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, come on, a little bullying never hurt anyone. Right?

      Delete