Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Daimon ex Machina

I was back on my feet with Zyzyfus still hanging around my neck and chomping on my shoulder.  I was trying to twirl to throw him off, but it was only making his teeth dig in deeper and I was starting to get dizzy.  Onslaw and Gavsot throwing each other around the room wasn't making it any easier to avoid falling down.  My computer monitor had been shattered by Onslaw's face and there was a Gavsot-shaped dent in the back door. 

"WITH PLASTICENE PORTERS WITH LOOKING-GLASS TIES," Gus crooned tunelessly. 

The room was spinning and the dizziness was affecting my judgment.  I had no idea what to do, but what I really wanted to do was sit down.  Thankfully, Zyzyfus cried out in pain and slipped off my back.  A moment later, Gavsot and Onslaw went silent, too.  I teetered away into a corner, slumped against the wall, and slid down to the floor.  I gazed leerily at the room in an effort to discern what had happened.

Standing over Onslaw's inert form was the demon I'd captured from the cult a while back.  He was holding Gavsot's knife.

"Belvidon," I said weakly, my chest heaving.  "The last time I saw you, your head was sitting on my carpet."

He set the dagger down on my desk and hurried over to me.  "Yes, sir," he replied, helping me to my feet.  "I'm feeling much better now."

"Not that I don't appreciate the help," I said, "But I have to admit I'm surprised that you came in to put a stop to this crazy little altercation here.  I didn't think we'd really made friends out of each other or anything."

"It's cool, sir," Sylnie said, entering the room with a confident smile.  "He's with me."

From the corner, Gus sang, "It was twenty years ago today Sergeant Pepper taught the band to play."

"Dude, seriously?" I snapped.  "Can you just stop?  Not everybody loves the Beatles!"

No comments:

Post a Comment