Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Tactical Misstep

I appeared back in my office with my rescued psychic in tow.  Gus was still curled up in a corner.  Sylnie, Belvidon and Onslaw were making introductions as they kept a careful watch on the bodies of Gavsot and Zyzyfus to make sure they didn't reattach their heads.  Sylnie broke off mid-sentence to exclaim, "Tithenai!  You're okay!"

The two of them approached each other like they were about to embrace, but the Leader appeared to ruin their happy reunion.  In the split second it took him to size up his surroundings and spring into action, I realized how stupid it had been to bring Tithenai here.  This had probably been the first place the Leader had looked for us, but if I'd been a little smarter by choosing to hide her somewhere less obvious she wouldn't be in danger of being immediately recaptured.

By the time I'd come to this realization, of course, it was already too late.  Not only had the Leader found us, but he was throwing blasts of telekinetic energy everywhere.  Onslaw had been flipped backward over my desk and Sylnie had been swept aside.  Belvidon had managed to duck out of the way and even fire back with a little something that looked like it rolled weakly off the Leader's shoulder.  But the Leader's first move had been aimed at me, and I saw most of this take place while I was being pummeled from above with the contents of the bookshelf I'd just been thrown into.

The Leader moved swiftly toward Tithenai, who scurried away as best she could.  I conjured up some fireballs to keep him at bay, but he was agile and fleetfooted.  Once I got back on my feet I tried a few quick teleports to see if I could blow him to smithereens and put an end to all this, but he stepped up his game.  He practically danced around the room in his frantic effort to ensnare Tithenai and avoid my random appearances.  After the third or fourth time they'd chased each other around the desk, it occurred to me that the whole thing probably looked like some fucked up Scooby-Doo cartoon.

I eventually managed to land a hit, timing one of my teleportations just well enough that our shoulders temporarily occupied the same space. But instead of ripping a bloody chunk in his torso, we went flying in opposite directions like we'd just had an epic tug-of-war over a wishbone that had finally snapped.

1 comment: