Monday, February 9, 2015

To Kill or Not To Kill

 Sylnie sidled up next to me and wrapped her arm around my waist.  "Feel better?" she cooed.

I savored her warm touch, but I couldn't help feeling that she was being more motherly than romantic.  I shrugged her off and shouted, "No!  There's too much going on all at the same time!"

"Then let's take care of one of these problems," Onslaw suggested, giving General Gavsot's disembodied head a cruel jab with his clawed toe.

"We're not killing Gavsot," I said sternly.

"Why not?" Onslaw snapped.  "He killed my brother and tried to kill both of us!  He tried to steal your throne!  He betrayed you!"

"We're not killing Gavsot," I repeated.

"Give me a reason!" he blustered loudly.  "Give me one goddamn reason why you shouldn't blow this piece of shit to smithereens right now!"

"Onslaw," Sylnie warned, stepping between us.  "You need to calm down."

Ignoring her, Onslaw ranted, "You killed Halkkor.  You killed Azraal.  You sent Vilnius to his death.  This is how you deal with people who try to dethrone you!  You kill them!  Gavsot's earned that punishment like three times over!"

"I'm not ready to give up on him yet," I explained, knowing full well how dumb it sounded.  "How do I know he isn't under some kind of spell or something?"

Onslaw scoffed and shook his head, his eyes wide with disbelief.  "It doesn't matter.  If he's under a spell, he's still a danger to you.  Either way, you can't let him live to overthrow you another day."

"I can lock him up, though," I pointed out.  "Throw him in some dark corner of his own department and keep him powerless."

"Until when?  When do I get my revenge?"

"Well, you can't kill him," I said.  "But there seems to be a vacancy in the Department of Enforcement.  Maybe your revenge can be taking his old job from him."

That finally got Onslaw to back off.  "You…want me to be the new Director of Enforcement?" he said in awe.

I nodded.  "I can draw up a Satanic Order right now.  I just need your word that you won't kill Gavsot without my permission."

He gave me a stony stare for a few seconds before murmuring solemnly, "Then you have my word."

6 comments:

  1. That was some quick thinking! It's nice to see him thinking rationally though he was pretty pissed a chapter ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for rational thought and planning!

      Oh, and caught up I guess.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the outburst may have suited his position as the devil, but it didn't really solve anything.

      And congrats on catching up, K G Yonetwoone. Looks like you went through a lot of material in a short time!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, what's going on with The New Devil? Did you stop writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no...

      Yeah, I haven't updated in a while, but I keep meaning to and then feeling bad that I don't. The plan was for me to finish the current arc (if that's what you call it) and conclude the story at a more leisurely pace as a series of ebooks. I'm probably like three posts away from doing that, but for some reason I'm struggling.

      It'll continue, but probably not for too long.

      Delete