Monday, April 20, 2015

In Demand

Sylnie looked like she was about to agree with me, but as she opened her mouth, the back door creaked open loudly.

Tithenai poked her head into the room.  "I get the sense that you'd like to talk to me," she said.  "I can set your secrets free, baby."

"I would like to talk to you," I said gratefully.  "I need to pick your brain.  I need to know what you know about everything you know things about."

"Yeah, about that," she replied, twisting her eerie features into a pained expression.  "You know how I don't really want to get involved with anything…."

"I don't think neutrally sitting things out is an option anymore, Tithenai," I explained.  "You were kidnapped.  Your psychic abilities are of great use to some very powerful demons, and they're not going to stop trying to use you to their own ends if you just tell them you want to stay in your cave and play Grand Theft Auto all day."

"But how is what they're doing any different from what you're doing?" Tithenai countered.  "You want to use my psychic powers to serve your own purposes, too, don't you?  I mean, you pretend that you're protecting me, but here you are in the ninth, two men out and three men on, nowhere to look, and you need a psychic as your secret weapon."

"But I'm not kidnapping you!  I'm letting you help out of your own free will!" I exclaimed, a little offended by the comparison she'd drawn.

"Also, we're trying to help people," Sylnie pointed out.  "We want your help to stop all the infighting in Hell so we can bring some order and bust open the door to Heaven so we can let all those souls who have already served their sentences free."  I stared at her in awe.  She furrowed her brow self-consciously. "What?"

"I feel like, as a human, that's the point that I should have made," I murmured.  "I'm getting out-humanity'd by a demon."

She clicked her tongue at me impatiently.  "Don't be a bigot," she scolded.

No comments:

Post a Comment