Friday, April 17, 2015

Promotional Opportunity

"Excellent," I said with relief.  It was nice to have finally pacified Onslaw and his rabid insistence on killing Gavsot.

"But you'll draft a Satanic Order?" he pressed.  "Right now?"  He seemed suspicious that I didn't actually want to make him Director of Enforcement but was simply dangling the possibility in front of him to stall for time. 

I almost sat down behind my battered desk without noticing that my padded office chair had suffered far too much damage during combat to have remained structurally sound.  I opted to stand instead only to realize that the impact of Onslaw's skull had put the computer monitor completely out of commission.  I pulled a sheet of blank paper from the miraculously unscathed printer and scrawled out a quick message detailing the change of leadership in the Department of Enforcement, signed it in blood, and ran it through the beaten but functional scanner that would distribute it throughout my domain.

"Satisfied?" I asked.

Onslaw nodded slowly.  "And honored," he added, though he was clearly mastering that particular emotion with ease.  His suspicions were merely diminished instead of completely eradicated, but that would have to do.

"Well," I said awkwardly, "you should probably, you know…go start your new job or whatever.  You have a department to take over."

"Of course," he said quickly, appearing slightly embarrassed.  "I'll…go take a look at things and I'll keep you posted on how everything's going."   He leaned over, tucked Gavsot's head under his arm, and reached for the torso.

"Take good care of that body," I warned sternly.

He stopped and looked up at me like I'd just caught him stealing from the cookie jar.  "Of course."

"Okay," I said, unconvinced.  I wanted to threaten him more explicitly, but I was worried that his allegiance to me was too precarious right now to survive anything more than a pushy reminder.  "Let me know if you need anything down there."

"Of course," he repeated, and a moment later he and the previous Director of Enforcement were gone.

I gave Sylnie a meaningful sidelong look.  "We need to find Tithenai," I said.  "I need to know what's going on.  Like, everything.  Everywhere."

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, those of you who are returning. I have a few more posts before I'm done sharing this story in blog format, and I apologize for how long it's taken me to get them up.

    I've spent most of my spare energy over the last two months working on a novel called Their Works Shall Be in the Dark, which is now available on Amazon. It's an immersive tale of intrigue and corruption in a Mormon youth group, and it's free starting tomorrow, Saturday the 18th, through Wednesday the 22nd. I hope you'll check it out!

    I'd also like to mention that my previous novel, Tiem Mechine, will be available at a reduced price around the same time, the 19th through the 26th.

    Thanks for the support, thanks for reading, and stay tuned for the conclusion of this arc!

    ReplyDelete