I'm tired of the schedule I've set for myself and I'd also like to bring the story to a wider audience, so I'm planning to adapt the series into ebooks. Because those of you who have been reading along and supporting this have been getting it for free for two and a half years, I thought it would probably be a good idea to get your thoughts on everything.
What I'd like to do:
- I want to release The New Devil as a set of novellas of about 20,000 words each. The first one would be about Jason fighting for dominance, the second about the plot to massacre his funeral attendees, the third about the threat of Lucifer's Firstborn, etc. The current storyline is probably somewhere in the sixth or seventh volume.
- I want to stop updating this site. The schedule I'm on isn't always conducive to good writing because I'm not always in the mood to work on this particular project even though I have self-imposed deadlines to meet (I am still floored by the massive quantity of great updates George Frost of The Zombie Knight is capable of). I'd like to work on new updates at a different pace and give myself enough time to wrap a storyline up and revise it as a whole before releasing it for consumption.
- I want to distribute these ebooks through both Amazon and Smashwords (which will put it out to the Nook, Sony and iTunes stores, among others) both to broaden the audience and, of course, to make a little bit of money from it.
What I'd like not to do:
- I don't want to end your free access to these stories. If you wish to continue reading, I should be able to post a coupon code at this site that will allow you to purchase a new volume from Smashwords for free...the only problem is you'd need to sign up for Smashwords. Alternatively, I could simply make them free for the first few weeks everywhere except Amazon (Amazon can be difficult sometimes). I'm open to suggestions here. But most of all, I don't want to be that guy who says, "Surprise! After reading along for free for all these months, I'm going to make you fork over some cash if you want to read the ending!"
- I don't want to leave you hanging. If you're not interested in continuing past this blog (which I hope doesn't happen), I want you to have some kind of conclusion. I'm not entirely sure at what point my last update would post (could be in two weeks, could be in six months, I'm still figuring it out), but I want to find a good stopping point for you guys. Obviously I won't be able to tie up all the loose ends for a series that will continue (albeit in a slightly different medium), but at least I can drop you at the end of volume six or something instead of in the middle of the action.
- I don't want to make huge changes, although I'm in the process of editing and revising the last two and a half years of posts. I'm fixing a lot of things, including continuity and flow and lots of spelling and grammar errors. I've added scenes, removed a few, and fleshed out the involvement of some of the characters. But the overarching plot and the progression of the events has remained pretty much the same. If you go from the end of this blog to the beginning of the next book in the series, you should still have an acceptable understanding of what's going on.
If you're a fan of Jason's adventures and you have an opinion or a question about all this, please comment and let me know your thoughts. I've pretty much decided that this is what I'm going to do, but I'd like to do it in a way that isn't a slap in the face to you guys. So I'd appreciate your input.
And, as always, thanks for reading!